These types of operations are exempt from the FMCSRs unless otherwise specified:
- School bus operations as defined in 49 CFR 390.5T except for the provisions of 391.15(e) and (f), 392.80, and 392.82;
- Transportation provided by Federal, State, local governments, or any agency established under a compact between States that has been approved by Congress;
- Occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation or in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise;
- Transportation of human corpses or sick and injured people;
- Fire trucks and rescue vehicles while involved in emergency and related operations;
- The operation of commercial motor vehicles designed or used to transport between 9 and 15 passengers (including the driver), not for direct compensation, provided the vehicle does not otherwise meet the definition of a commercial motor vehicle, except that motor carriers operating such vehicles are required to comply with 49 CFR 390.15, 49 CFR 390.19T, 49 CFR 390.21T(a) and (b)(2), 49 CFR 391.15(e) and (f), 49 CFR 392.80, and 49 CFR 392.82.
- Either a driver of a commercial motor vehicle used primarily in the transportation of propane winter heating fuel or a driver of a motor vehicle used to respond to a pipeline emergency, if regulations would prevent the driver from responding to an “emergency condition requiring immediate response," as defined in 49 CFR 390.5T.