Skip to main content
For your protection, your login session will expire in 0 minutes and 0 seconds. Do you wish to extend your session or logout?
For your protection, your login session has expired and you are required to login

9.1.1 Applying for a Certificate of Registration

While the OP-2 form and instructions are available in Spanish, applicants must provide responses in English. The application must be complete, with all questions answered, before processing begins. Incomplete applications will be rejected. If an application is rejected, the applicant will have a period of time for returning the application completed.

Commercial zone carriers may submit completed forms and filing fees online or by mailing to:

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC 20590

After a carrier submits its application, it goes through internal review. FMCSA personnel consult multiple U.S. and Mexican databases to ensure the applicant is eligible for a Certificate of Registration in the U.S. If FMCSA accepts the application and provides a provisional Certificate of Registration, the carrier can begin operations in U.S. commercial zones, but must also submit to a Safety Audit within the first 18 months of operation.

The applicant does not have to submit evidence of insurance with the application, but once the Certificate is granted the carrier must ensure that each vehicle crossing into the U.S. carries:

  • Form MCS-90 Endorsement for Motor Carrier Policies of Insurance for Public Liability.
  • Evidence of insurance issued by an authorized insurer, such as a card, binder, or other document, which specifies both the effective date and the expiration date of the temporary insurance coverage.
  • The certificate of registration issued to the carrier.

Stay Connected: